Laying the Groundwork for Writing Your Book: From Inspiration to Outline | Educators Without Borders
Most aspiring authors have a general idea of what they want to be their book about, but ensuring that their idea is original and builds upon current knowledge and outlining a structure can be a challenge. In this episode of Educators Without Borders, four established and successful book authors share tips and experiences on how to conduct research and build a framework for a successful writing endeavor.
Panelists include Serena Pariser (Real Talk About Time Management, Real Talk About Classroom Management), ÉTIENNE (Rock Your Class), and Heather Wolpert-Gawron (Just Ask Us: Kids Speak Out on Student Engagement, Writing Behind Every Door: Teaching Common Core Writing in the Content Areas). Facilitated by Matt Rhoads (Navigating the Toggled Term).
To find out more about each of our panelists and their books, please visit:
- Navigating the Toggled Term: https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Toggled-Term-Preparing-Secondary/dp/B08CP93DGX
- Rock Your Class: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Your-Class-Creatively-Teacher-Rockstar/dp/1775248011
- Real Talk About Time Management: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Talk-About-Time-Management/dp/154437691X
- Real Talk about Classroom Management: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Talk-About-Classroom-Management/dp/1544317751
- Just Ask Us: Kids Speak Out on Student Engagement: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Ask-Us-Engagement-Essentials/dp/1506363288
- Writing Behind Every Door: Teaching Common Core Writing in the Content Areas https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Behind-Every-Door-Education/dp/0415732085
Subscribe to SchoolRubric on Youtube: http://bit.ly/SchoolRubric
- 0:00 Educators Without Borders Introduction
- 1:30 Author introductions
- 3:12 Appropriate depth and effort to spend in the research/investigation process
- 6:35 Where should I go to start researching for my book?
- 12:30 Incorporating other voices, stories, and experiences in a unique way
- 18:08 Going from preliminary research to outline
- 21:56 How did you organize the outline for your book?
- 27:05 Final ideas and tips from our book authors