Athletics in international schools is different from schools in other countries, with the opportunity to travel and compete with other students from across the world. On this episode of Global Take, we welcome three former international student-athletes as they reflect on their experiences as international students and discuss how those experiences led to where they are now in life. For international educators wanting to step into the shoes of their students, this is an episode you won’t want to miss!
We will discuss balancing academic and athletics as an international student, advice for educators and coaches on how to get the best out of their student-athletes, and opportunities for schools to engage students more.
Please join host Nick DeForest (Assistant Director of the Events Office, American International School Vienna and panelists Masa Raznatovic (Class of 2021 International School of Belgrade), Debbie Engelberg (Class of 2020 American International School Vienna), and Alex Rogat (Class of 2018 Vienna International School).
Continue the conversation in our Facebook group, Global Educators Network: https://bit.ly/GlobalEduNetwork
Subscribe to SchoolRubric on YouTube: https://bit.ly/SchoolRubric
- 0:00 Global Take Introduction
- 3:02 Introductions
- 5:02 What was it like for you to balance Athletics and Academics?
- 11:08 What did you learn from athletics that has helped you in other areas of your life?
- 15:07 What did you learn from team sports that is different from individual sports?
- 18:17 Looking back, what would you want to tell your younger self if you had the chance?
- 24:20 Do you have any advice for coaches to help them better understand their athletes?