The concept of coaching for a “greater purpose” is a way to put to words the desire to create opportunities for coaches to learn about how they can make an impact on their players, teams, communities, and the world beyond. Sports can be a powerful tool for leveraging change and having a positive impact on young people’s lives but it is not something that happens automatically. The panel will discuss how coaches have to do more than just teach the Xs and Os and more. Not to be missed is also some information about a new conference coming up in August where coaches from around the international school community can come together to help raise the level of coaching and to provide coaches with an opportunity to forge relationships “across enemy lines.”
Join Lee Rosky (Director of Athletics and Activities, IS Brussels), Janelle Meisenheimer (PE Teacher and Coach, IS Brussels), and Nick DeForest (Assistant Director of the Events Office, American International School Vienna).
Conference Link: https://www.cgpconference.com/
Continue the conversation in our Facebook group, Global Educators Network: http://bit.ly/GlobalEduNetwork
Subscribe to SchoolRubric on Youtube: https://bit.ly/SchoolRubric
- 0:00 Global Take Introduction
- 1:05 Guest introductions
- 4:38 The greatest challenge facing international school athletic programs at this moment
- 12:01 Embracing the concept of coaching for a “greater purpose”
- 20:13 Are international schools more suited for “educational athletics”?
- 23:48 Often overlooked areas of improvement that coaches can focus on
- 27:23 Coaching for a Greater Purpose Conference
- 36:36 What is the thing you are most looking forward to or are most excited about as the host school?