Rethinking Our Approach with Student-Athletes | Global Take
The positive link between athletics and academic performance is well-established. However, it is still commonplace for student-athletes to hear from teachers that they need to make a choice between athletics and academics. Athletics are Co-Curricular but if a school calls them Extra-Curricular does it matter? Can we bridge the gap between students, teachers, and coaches? Can we better prepare our future global leaders not only by bringing athletics into the classroom, but also encourage our students to join a team?
In this episode of Global Take the panel will discuss these questions and more. Please join Steve Razidlo (Director, American School of Doha), Christopher McCallum (HS English Teacher and Coach, American School of Brasília), and Kerstin Bender (PHE Teacher/Head of Department, Western Academy of Beijing) Hosted by Nick DeForest (Assistant Director of the Events Office, American International School Vienna).
- 0:00 Global Take Introduction
- 1:49 Guest introductions
- 4:41 Does it matter how a school view athletics for teachers, parents, and/or students?
- 12:00 How do we bridge the gap between student-athletes, teachers, and coaches?
- 20:24 Can we better prepare our future global leaders by encouraging students to join a team?
- 28:37 School Spotlight: The American School of Doha
- 37:04 The message of “giving back” to the community