The International School Coach: An Essential Part of a School Community | Global Take
In this episode of Global Take we focus on an essential, but often forgotten part of our community, the coach. Being a coach at an international school can be one of the hardest and most challenging things to do, but it can also be one of the most rewarding. Success depends on the background and mindset of the coach, the support of the Athletic Director, the philosophy of the program and how that relates to the coach’s goals along with the mission of the school.
The balancing act between teaching educational athletics, athletic skills and team dynamics while navigating short seasons with few competitions and a revolving door of students can be a lot to ask – but Athletics Directors are constantly asking for more. How much is too much? What cannot be left out and what if anything can be pushed aside? How much support should an athletic director give while still facilitating a coach’s autonomy. The panel will discuss these questions and more on this episode of Global Take.
Hosted by Nick DeForest (Assistant Director of the Events Office, American International School Vienna) with guests:
- Mike DeNeef (Director of Activities, American International School Dhaka)
- Megan Docherty (Learning Support and Intensive Needs Teacher, International School Bangkok)
- Tomaz Pereira (PE Teacher and Coach, American International School Budapest)
Continue the conversation in our Facebook group, Global Educators Network: http://bit.ly/GlobalEduNetwork
Subscribe to SchoolRubric on YouTube: http://bit.ly/SchoolRubric
- 0:00 Introductions
- 3:38 How important are the messages that you receive from your AD for your morale/motivation?
- 11:35 Can you find the time for coach-specific development with so many other teacher teaching demands?
- 20:14 How can school leaders/directors better support athletic directors?
- 22:45 Creating buy-in and alignment when coaches are not part of the school faculty
- 25:43 School Spotlight: American International School Dhaka