Special Leadership: What’s So Special About Special Education? | Inside the Principal’s Office
Students with special education needs represent a small but important demographic of our student populations. Because of the inherent unique needs of these students, schools and districts often struggle to balance and find the right resources to meet all of these students’ needs. From a leadership perspective, what strategies, policies, and systems can be put in place to give these students the best probability of success?
Join co-hosts Michael McWilliams (Principal, Savannah Elementary) and Charles Williams (Principal, Plato Learning Academy) as they welcome guests Jeff Shirk (Middle & High School Principal, American School of Recife) and Darby Ahlfinger (Special Education Supervisor, Denton, Texas ISD) for this discussion.
Purchase the book: https://bit.ly/Inside-Principal-Book
Join our Facebook group and continue the conversation: https://bit.ly/InsidePrincipal
Subscribe to SchoolRubric on Youtube: https://bit.ly/SchoolRubric
- 0:00 Inside the Principal’s Office Introduction
- 1:00 Guest introductions
- 7:00 Being more mindful and inclusive of special education students
- 16:40 Encouraging mistakes and reflecting on making choices
- 22:34 Balancing improving student outcomes with limited capacity and resources
- 34:55 Ideas That Stick: What will you focus on next year to ensure more accountability for the progress of your special education students?